4/28/13

Made from Scratch by Jenna Woginrich


I just started the book Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life, by Jenna Woginrich.

Here is a paragraph that has really struck me:

"When you begin to comprehend how something as basic as how food gets to you, you begin thinking about how other items find their way to you, too: things like clothing, produce, and especially energy. The bloodshed and national security threats caused by depending on foreign oil were loud and clear on the daily news. The scary things was that I was completely dependent on fossil fuels, and so was everyone I knew. My gas-heated apartment, my groceries from the supermarket, my station wagon parked outside -- everything was part of the system. And if the system broke, I was going to be hungry, cold, and immobile."

Not sure quite how I feel about that, but it has really been making me think. These aren't new thoughts. I think about self-sufficiency and being less dependent on others for basic necessities a lot. Anyway, just wanted to share.

Has anyone read this book?

No comments:

Post a Comment