5/5/13

Stories and Poems About The Ocean






Part of our day-to-day schooling is reading and memorizing poetry. I find this to be very good practice since it teaches memorization skills that will be beneficial for an entire life. One thing that I have found to be particularly helpful in keeping little ones interested and excited about "the next poem!" is to keep things seasonal. For example, last Autumn, Rumer memorized Leonard Clark's Hallowe'en. We found it in A Journey Through Time in Verse and Rhyme which we got with our Charter funds and have used daily every since.



Poems:
Where The Waves Meet the Shore, Katherine Taylor
The Secret of the Sea, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Old Ocean, by William Wendell Riley
Song of a Shell, by Violet L. Cuslidge

A Wave

I sat on the beach and a beautiful wave
  Came tumbling right up to me.
It threw some pink shells on the sand at my feet,
  Then hurried straight back out to sea.

It ran away swiftly and leaped up in foam;
  It bumped other waves in its glee.
I think it was hurrying to gather more shells,
  To bring as a present for me.

                                               Gussie Osborne


Sea Sounds
I walked on the beach      Walk.
And picked up a shell      Stoop.
And held it close to my ear.  Pretend to hold shell to ear.
I walked on the beach      Walk.
And picked up a shell      Stoop.
And held it close to my ear.  Pretend to hold shell to ear.
And what did I hear?       Pretend to hold shell to ear with questioning look.
R-O-A-R  S-w-i-s-h       Say "ROAR" loudly.
R-O-A-R  S-w-i-s-h       Whisper "Swish".
The sound of the sea I did hear.


Some awesome poems about the seashore can be found over at Ocean Poems!




Here are a few books we love about the ocean and seashore.....

At the BeachAnne and Harlow Rockwell

What Lives in a Shell? by Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld


Star of the Sea: A Day in the Life of a Starfish, by Janet Halfmann

Mrs. Armitage and the Big Wave, by Quentin Blake

Ladybug Girl at the Beach, by David Soman

Beach, by Elisha Cooper

A Day at the Seashore, by Kathryn Jackson

Wave, by Suzy Lee



for whatever we lose. .. 8x10 archival print
And just because, I love this Etsy shop and this print!!

from Meera Lee Patel



No comments:

Post a Comment